The Butterick B6205
It’s the 1st of June and the sun is out. I sit here in the coffee shop with my husband with a pot of herbal tea and red velvet cake as a treat, as we wait for our daughters to finish their drama lessons. I am so excited to be sharing my first ever blog post.
I have been up since 6 am this Saturday morning whilst everyone else sleeps, so I can get the ironing done and get breakfast ready before we all dash off to drama lessons. I am a busy mum with three girls and my time is limited. My sewing style reflects my busy life, I don’t always have time for more detailed makes. I’m a store brought jeans kind of girl, teamed with me made tops as my mum daytime wardrobe. However as soon as the sun comes out, I love to wear me-made floaty dresses.
When I was asked to be on the design team for the Sew Crafty Shop, I wanted to use this as a way to show my sewing journey as a busy mum and how I still manage to create an on-trend wardrobe without too much time on the sewing machine. I love patterns that give you instant gratification.
I found the Butterick B6205 dress pattern on the Sew Crafty Shop Website and it was love at first sight. The pattern even states it’s easy and fast!
With three different dress lengths to choose from, elasticated waistband and neckline, shoulder ties and wait…. I haven’t told you the best part, IT HAS POCKETS!
I will confess I am a bit of a cotton viscose hoarder! I love how it drapes and it’s perfect for summer makes. When I came across the Black Floral Print Viscose, I knew it would be perfect for the look I wanted to create. I wanted a dress that would suit evening and daytime wear, for summer holidays or when the British weather is nice. When the fabric arrived, it was a lot sheerer then I expected. As the bodice is lined, that wasn’t going to be a problem, but I couldn’t have a see-through skirt on the school run now could I. After speaking with Samantha about what was in stock to line my dress, I went with the Regular Black Viscose.
I made a toile from a viscose fabric I already had. From here I noticed a few things I could change. Having a contrast fabric as the lining instead of the same main fabric would draw more attention to the shoulders.
I decided that since I was using the plain black viscose as the skirt lining, why not use this as the bodice lining as well.
I wanted a very floaty dress and went for option A with the curved hem. When taking the lining into consideration, I didn’t want the dress to lose the floaty drape that my toile dress had. I decided that not hemming the skirt lining to the same length as the main skirt was best.it would then create that slight sheer look at the bottom. I cut the skirt lining with a straight hem just above where the skirt curved hem starts to dip. As there weren’t any instructions for lining the skirt, I used the basic methods I have picked up over the years. I followed the instructions for the main skirt to construct the lining but didn’t add pockets to the lining. I hemmed the lining before pinning it to the inside of the main skirt and using my sewing machine to baste them together.
When making my toile of the dress I noticed that the instructions of the pattern, as clear and easy as they may be to follow, they are missing a few basic finishing steps that make the garment more professionally made.
When sewing the side seams of the main bodice and the lining together, the instructions don’t ask you to press the seams open. By pressing these seams, this will allow them to sit better once you sew the two bodices together.
The one thing about making my own clothes is I pride myself on being able to have skills to finish the inside of the garment like a store-bought one. The pattern lacked any instructions on finishing the side seams of the skirt or the pockets. I went ahead and used my overlocker before I started any construction of the garment and serged the skirt seams and when the pockets were sewed in, I used my pinking shears so the pockets wouldn’t fray.
I love the outcome of the dress. It will be a great summer basic to layer up with a cardigan when the weather isn’t great and dress up and down for evening and daywear as I wanted. I can see me on holiday in Turkey in August wearing this sitting with my kids in the evening enjoying a cocktail. The drape of the curved hem is perfect and I am glad I didn’t make the lining hem the same length.
I will be making this dress again; the construction and cutting are easy enough to get this made in a few hours so will be great for those last-minute holiday makes. I will go for the maxi dress option next time and maybe look at what a faux button trim down the bodice centre front would look like. I could see this fabric making amazing maxi dresses, summer blouses and on-trend summer PJ shorts and cotton vest-style PJ tops. It was a dream to work with.
The sun is out, I am off to take my dress for a spin!