Rainbow leopard print Mimi G shirt

The perfect fun summer shirt

 
 
Hello again!
I’m back with another project, and one which I think should bring a smile to anyone’s face! I mean, just look at this fabric, it’s the perfect combo of rainbow and animal print, right up my alley!

Shop rainbow leopard print here! 

This time around I had trouble choosing a project so I went to my pattern box and searched for ideas. The pattern I settled on was S8889, a Mimi G for Simplicity shirt with a hi-lo front and hidden button placket. This way I could go for any number of the amazing cottons that Sammy has in stock. 
 
This cotton is the perfect weight for this shirt. For some reason I thought the animal print would be larger but I love how the dainty nature of it tones down the rainbow. 

I prewashed the fabric, obviously, and it shrunk by 1.5cm but I knew I had more than enough for the project, in fact, with some clever pattern placement, I ended up getting the whole shirt out of just over 1m. I didn’t consider stripe placement because there were too many pieces including plackets which I’d never done before but I think it worked out well in the end. I did make the effort to match the breast pocket and I’m so pleased, it’s practically invisible!!!

Construction was relatively straight forward, and made easier because the fabric wasn’t a shifty viscose! I lengthened the front by 5cms and I think I could do with lengthening it a bit more! The deep hem facing worked well and I love the shape it gives. The sleeves and collar went in well and the instructions for the button placket were good – only once did I have cause to scratch my head! Over all it was a really pleasant project to sew!
This shirt makes me smile whenever I look at it, and I love that in my clothes! So go make a rainbow shirt for your wardrobe right now!!!
 
Thanks Sammy for the beautiful fabric!

This style shirt would also work brilliantly in any of our other funky prints…

Shop here

Style Arc Blaire Shirtdress in red and black check cotton twill fabric

#scdesignteam Alison's perfect shirt dress

 
 
 
Hi there, so I’m back with my first blog post of 2021 and, after a slow start to the year, my sewjo is back up and running again!
 
Sammy has recently had quite a few new fabrics arrive into the shop and lucky us for getting the pick of the bunch! Something I’ve been wanting to make for a while now is the Style Arc Blaire Shirt Dress and when I saw this lovely red and black check cotton twill I couldn’t resist. 
 
 

 

 

 

 

It is so soft and almost has a brushed cotton feel to it. It’s light and drapey and washes and irons well. 

Red and Black 1.5″ Gingham cotton twill

£4.45 per half metre

So I’ve made the shirt version a couple of times. Generally it’s not difficult but, if you’ve sewn any Style Arc patterns before, you’ll know they’re stingy with the instructions and they also skip steps like how to best sew a curved hem and stay-stitching necklines, which in this case is vital. I had to use the instructions again as the dress is constructed slightly different to the shirt. The top comes together very easily and quickly. The bottom half is almost entirely constructed before attaching it to the top. I was eager to try out this pocket design but now that it’s finished I’ve realised that the bottom of the pocket bag is very low. If I pop my phone in there it’s banging around my knees! They’re a great design feature but I’m not sure they’ll get used that much!

Then the top is sewn to the bottom and the button plackets are added before the collar. Attaching the collar is always a little challenging with this pattern as the fabric at the back neckline needs easing in (not that they mention this in the instructions!). This time I decided to leave the collar off and stick with the collar stand. I hand stitched the inside of the collar on to keep it neat and tidy. This might be the most beautiful collar I’ve ever sewn!
 
 
I used a Change Maker label in the back and how cool does that look?! These are available from the shop and all profits from sales go to a monthly nominated charity with an emphasis on tackling social and environmental injustice.
 
I should have picked some buttons from Sam’s shop but when I ordered the fabric I totally forgot. She has a huge selection of fantastic buttons but in the end, I ordered a bag of simple black ones from Amazon.
 
 

Now then… I think we need to address the elephant in the room… pattern matching. Let’s just say I tried! I know I didn’t do a great job but I really did try, promise! What I’ve realised is that it would have been better to cut it out on the flat so I could see where all the checks are lining up, but I didn’t. I just tried to fold it so everything was straight and then cut on the fold. I’m lazy. Let’s move on…

Overall I love this, it’s such an easy wear both layered up in the cooler months and on it’s own in the summer. Special thanks to my son for taking the photos and not noticing for the entire shot that I’d put a hair clip on my sleeve! Thanks for the fabric, Sammy, I know I’m gonna get a lot of wear out of this one!
 
 
Fabric gifted in return for a blog post. Buttons and label purchased.