Alexa shares her summer jumpsuit
I’ve been meaning to make a new Sallie jumpsuit for months. Ideally I would have joined in with #sewtogetherforsummer but just never got my ducks in a row. Then Samantha got these gorgeous new organic jerseys in and it tipped me over into action.
This is my third Sallie, I wear my first one, which is years old, all the time. The second one had poor recovery and bagged out at the knees so badly that I ended up having to recycle it. This one has its own characteristics because of the fabric. As sewists we are always learning about fabric and how it can change the garment.
This cotton is fairly stable and sews up like a dream. The only alteration I made to the pattern was to chop a good few cm off the bottom, I’ve just had to re-hem my first version as it was too long and I’ve actually walked a hole in the hem. The print of this fabric is gorgeous and I love this jumpsuit, however, being less stretchy than I’m used to, it clings a lot more, not one to wear when going out for a big meal!
I try and be as sustainable as I can in my sewing and fabric choices, avoiding new where I can and reusing and recycling as much as possible. So it was really lovely to have the option to try out an organic cotton jersey, it’s nice to think that this garment has had slightly less impact on the planet than others as it hasn’t had quite as many chemicals involved.
I had some scraps left over from making my jumpsuit and so decided I was going to make some matching knickers. I used the Megan Neilsen acacia pattern which is becoming one of my go to patterns at this point. I realised I didn’t have any matching foldover elastic in my stash so Samantha kindly sent me some from the wide collection that they have. So now the insides can match the out!